Teacher's Ramblings

A potpourri of education, politics, family matters, and current events.

Saturday, January 22, 2005

Some Very Good Advice

Wow. Found this via blogdex.com There is a lot more.

If I were back in high school and someone asked about my plans, I'd say that my first priority was to learn what the options were. You don't need to be in a rush to choose your life's work. What you need to do is discover what you like. You have to work on stuff you like if you want to be good at what you do.

It might seem that nothing would be easier than deciding what you like, but it turns out to be hard, partly because it's hard to get an accurate picture of most jobs. Being a doctor is not the way it's portrayed on TV. Fortunately you can also watch real doctors, by volunteering in hospitals. [1]But there are other jobs you can't learn about, because no one is doing them yet. Most of the work I've done in the last ten years didn't exist when I was in high school. The
world changes fast, and the rate at which it changes is itself speeding up. In such a world it's not a good idea to have fixed plans.

Subscribe with Bloglines