Teacher's Ramblings

A potpourri of education, politics, family matters, and current events.

Wednesday, November 03, 2004

It's Over! Bush Won!

No surprise at this late time. If you didn't know this you are either dead or UBL, same thing I guess.

I got home at nearly 2am this morning. Woke up at 6:15, just in time to run to school. While I would never do it again; no radio or tv on election night is NOT my idea of a good time, it was interesting. I was partnered with a wonderful woman, a democrat needless to say. Luckily in DuPage, seems those that are involved with either party are not into dirty tricks, at least at the level we were dealing with, after voting. From what I could see, all got along well, where there were problems, i.e., challenges, both readily agreed.

We were processing the absentee votes through the scanners. My partner and I went through nearly 1k of these. There were less than 10 that wouldn't make it through the optical scanner. Those 10 went to a group of 4: 2 dems and 2 rep. to be 'remade.' All have to agree and sign off on-no problems. One of the 'absentee' partners by us, did have a 'challenge.' Interesting, within 3 ballots of each other, were 2 from the same precinct. In each, the 'Presidential vote' of George Bush had been lined through, with 'hell no!' written above, same handwriting. No vote other than that. Both were 'invalidated.' Both rep and dem reps were laughing/disgusted at the stupidity. That was earlier on in the evening.

Sometime about 10:30-11:00, a cell call came in to let one of us know that Bush was called by NBC for Bush. The person getting the call, yelled it out. Suddenly 1/2 the people there were like too depressed. My partner became very 'tired', later crying. One of the supervisors came by, saying she couldn't believe this, 'no way was GW going to be reelected, not without a revolution.' She is standing next to me, telling us how this election is being 'stolen' after watching all of us doing the same thing. Lots of talk about 'it's all about oil, Halliburton, fear', take your pick. Damn. This in an upperclass suburban area. I can't imagine what was going on in more working class or university areas.

I had caught Edwards 'fight' speech last night. So glad to hear the concession speech today, though the many mentions of 'rage' were noted. Quoted the Kerry line to my classes, "In an American election, there are no losers... because the next morning, we all wake up as Americans." Middle school kids got that-even if they had been for Kerry.

Subscribe with Bloglines